Seven helps for overcoming temptation
- Firm denial: "Just say no!" "I will not do/think this!" (Psa 45:7; Mat
- Separating needs from wants: "I don't need this!" "I don't need
to pamper myself."
- Separating temptation from desire: "This can't MAKE me
sin" (Jam 1:12-15).
- Accurately assessing strengths and weaknesses: "This
DOES tempt me, but -- with God's help -- I CAN overcome" (Rom 12:3; Jam
- Self-control: "I'm in charge here! I am not going to let someone else
run my life!" (Gal 5:23; Pro 1:10).
- Thinking ahead to the consequences: "I
will feel guilt and shame later if I do this!" (Gen 3:7,10).
- Christ is in
me, and my life belongs to him: "Sinning is just a waste of time. Christ would
not do it!" (Gal 2:20; 1Co 6:19,20).
(Adapted from David Levin)